Sunday, June 7, 2009



In keeping with Liza's burger theme I thought I'd write about my favorite spot out here. In a time when we should support local businesses and reduce fuel consumption, a thirty mile (and 2000 vertical feet) drive to my favorite burger spot is not the way to do this. Not only is it not a locally owned business, but it's a corporate chain. I write, not of the golden arches, but of the golden arrow. In n' Out Burger.

Those of you on the east coast most likely think its a myth, a burger lover's Shangri-La. But I assure you, it's real. And it's soooooo good. A Double Double Animal Style (more in a minute) contains 670 calories, dwarfing McDonald's puny Big Mac by 110 calories. Their fries are real potatoes pealed and then cut directly into the fry oil. You can get a burger and fry for under five dollars, a steal in this economy. The company looked at opening up a store in Tahoe but decided that winter road closures might lead to a delay in the availibility of fresh ingredients, so they decided not to. This is a restaurant philosophy I can stand behind. They are one of the few (I think Jack in the Box is the only other) fast food joints that perform bacteria testing on their meat, ensuring quality.

Beyond the above mentioned pros there is another. In n Out's menu. Foodwise you have four choices. Double Double, Cheeseburger, Hamburger, Fries. That's it. They don't waste time with fry sizes, specialty sandwiches, or half hearted attempts at coffee. They make burgers and fries and that's it. There is however, a secret menu. It expands their menu to include things like "animal style", "the flying dutchman" and "4x4", among others. How cool is that? Now all of a sudden being a patron of a burger joint has made you a member of a secret society!

Until my local spots figure out these simple but crucial tricks that make me go back again and again for my calorie count, I'm going to In n Out, every chance I get.

2 comments:

  1. Now I'm curious. What defines "animal style" et al?

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm...i'm due for breakfast but i'm seriously considering going straight to the double-double. "Animal Style," Liza, means extra spread (thousand island, i think), pickles, grilled onions, and they claim that they cook and fry the meat with mustard. you can even get the fries "animal style," though not for the faint-hearted, as you kind of need to impose the "look away" rule as you eat your delicious, yet unfortunate looking pile of fries (the spread on top being the culprit).

    yeah, i'm definitely going there today.

    ReplyDelete