Sunday, June 21, 2009

Food for Thought

Just when I start to think I have this writing thing down I read something that makes me wish I'd written it. I find most of what M.F.K. Fisher wrote inspires those moments actually. Here's a bit from my reading the other night per "The Art of Eating", a wonderful compilation of her books of essays that everyone who eats should read. This particular bit of poetic prose comes from "The Gastronomical Me" which she wrote decades before "foodies" had thought up the term to identify themselves with.

"It seems to me that our three basic needs, for food and security and love, are so mixed and mingled and entwined that we cannot straightly think of one without the others. So it happens that when I write of hunger, I am really writing about love and the hunger for it, and warmth and the love of it and the hunger for it...and then the warmth and richness and fine reality of hunger satisfied...and it is all one."

M.F.K. Fisher, 1943

3 comments:

  1. I think it is very interesting that she uses the term security, given WWII going on, and not just the more basic shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very astute, she goes on to mention some specifics about the war.

    ReplyDelete
  3. writing about food these days is a bit like taking pictures in Yosemite valley, you get the feeling that someone (Ansel Adams), has already taken a better picture from nearly every angle... but we shall persevere!!

    ReplyDelete