Monday, June 1, 2009

Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger...

Burgers! I can't escape them lately. Yes, it's summer but the burger blitz of late is a bit out of hand. Newspaper articles about burger of the month clubs, magazine articles about the 20 best burgers in the U.S., multiple trips by members of the Obama administration to multiple local joints (the latest was Obama at a Five Guys near Nats Stadium with a NBC crew in tow). And that's just in the last couple weeks. It's like burger-mania.

Which got me thinking. Clearly summer evokes burgers and grilling for many folks. It's arguably one of the few major contributions to world gastronomy that the U.S. has made that is very uniquely "American". Supposedly there's a spot in New Haven, CT that made the very first burger ever as a way to use up leftover bits of steak. How's that for recycling?

Despite it being the season for burgers, and despite recent trends that focus on moving everyday food upscale (see foie gras stuffed burgers and Wagyu and kobe beef burgers priced like small cars(, the humble burger really does seem to be having a moment. Is it because of this all-American image, or could it be that it's still an affordable indulgence? My guess: it's a bit of both. A burger is one of the few comfort foods that surpasses regional trends, at least at a basic level before all the dressings, condiments and tweaks are added.

Being a bit of a carniwhore myself (new favorite word courtesy of F. Bruni at the NYT) I do understand the burger's appeal. Juicy, satisfying, and when cooked right and topped properly just perfect. It's one of the few food cravings I have constantly. And it's an easy itch to sc ratch. Not only are there an increasing number of spots to get a great affordable burger of any style, as evidence by all these articles I keep reading, referencing, and posting, they're simple to make and play around with. Shea showcased quite a few great versions in the last few months.

I hadn't made burgers in awhile, until a recent bbq. Kept them simple, but tried matzoh meal instead of bread crumbs. A nice change of texture (thanks IAG). And I finally made it to the Shake Shack in NY recently, about five years fashionably late to that particular party. Yum-although I have to ad mit I think I like the ones from Good Stuff Eatery here in DC better. Apologies to any NY loyalists.

Which all goes to show, maybe I'm having my own little burger-mania moment. Seems an apropos time, we could all use a little comfort and a taste of summer these days.

Now I officially promise to stop blogging about burgers....Promise. Ok, I'll try to refrain until the next bbq.

No comments:

Post a Comment